Prevention is paramount
Who is at risk for CMV
- Childcare workers, early interventionists, early childhood providers (including daycare providers, pre-school teachers).
- Pregnant individuals who have children attending day-care (source).
- Healthcare workers (including nurses, therapists).
- Nearly 1 in 3 children are infected by age 5.
- 8% - 20% of childcare staff are infected with CMV each year.
- 40% - 70% of childcare staff have evidence of a prior infection.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
Congenital CMV Facts for Pregnant Individuals and Parents flyer.